Meyerhoff Scholars are selected for their interests in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, or computer science and their plans to pursue a Ph.D. or combined M.D./Ph.D. in the sciences or engineering. The selection committee considers academic performance, standardized test scores, recommendation letters, and proven commitment to community service.
Historically, application to the Meyerhoff Program was initiated through nomination. While it is no longer a requirement to be nominated for our program, it is highly encouraged. Nominations are most frequently submitted by high school administrators, guidance counselors, or teachers. Deserving students may also be nominated by other adults who are influential in their educational and personal lives, including community leaders and mentors.
The typical application and selection process is as follows:
- September 15 Nomination letters are sent to principals and guidance counselors, explaining eligibility criteria and how to access the online nomination forms.
- October 15 All nominations are to be received by the Meyerhoff office. Once nominations are received correspondence encouraging students to apply to the Meyerhoff Scholars Program are sent directly to the nominee’s mailing address.
- November 1 In addition to the Meyerhoff Scholars application, students must submit a general UMBC application for undergraduate admission and are encouraged to take advantage of the early action admissions deadline of November 1.
- December 1 Priority Deadline. Applications will be accepted beyond the Priority Deadline until the online submission portal closes later this winter.
- January 30 Top applicants meeting eligibility criteria, including submission of a completed UMBC undergraduate admissions application and a Meyerhoff Scholars Program application, are invited to attend Selection Weekend. Invited students are required to take UMBC Math and English placement tests prior to this weekend.
- April 15 Meyerhoff decision letters are mailed to all applicants.
- May 1 Students accept or reject admission invitations. This deadline includes students who applied under early action.
Nominators and applicants with questions, should contact Meyerhoff staff for additional information.