Meyerhoff Scholars are selected for their interests in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, or computer science and their plans to pursue a Ph.D. or combined M.D./Ph.D. in the sciences or engineering. The selection committee considers academic performance, standardized test scores, recommendation letters, and proven commitment to community service.
To be considered, applicants must be nominated to the program; most frequently by high school administrators, guidance counselors, or teachers. Deserving students may also be nominated by other adults who are influential in their educational and personal lives, including pastors and mentors.
The typical application and selection process is as follows:
- September 1 Meyerhoff staff send letters to principals and guidance counselors, explaining eligibility criteria and how to access the online nomination forms.
- October 15 All nominations are to be postmarked or received by the Meyerhoff office. Applications to the Meyerhoff Scholars Program are sent directly to the nominee’s home address once nominations are received.
- November 1 In addition to the Meyerhoff Scholars application, students must submit a general UMBC application for undergraduate admission and are encouraged to take advantage of the early action admissions deadline of November 1. Students accepted for admission to UMBC have until May 1 to respond with their decision.
- December 1 All applications for the Meyerhoff Scholars Program are to be postmarked or received by the Meyerhoff office.
- January 30 Details relating to the weekend and placement tests are sent by the Meyerhoff office. Applicants meeting eligibility criteria, including the receipt of completed UMBC undergraduate and Meyerhoff Scholars application packets are invited to attend Selection Weekend. Invited students are required to take Math and English placement tests prior to this weekend.
- April 15 Meyerhoff decision letters are mailed to all applicants.
- May 1 Students accept or reject admission invitations. This deadline includes students who applied under early action.
Nominators and applicants with questions, should contact Meyerhoff staff for additional information.