Meyerhoff Scholars are selected for their interests in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, or computer science and their plans to pursue a Ph.D. or combined M.D./Ph.D. in the sciences or engineering. The selection committee considers academic performance, standardized test scores, recommendation letters, and proven commitment to community service.
Historically, application to the Meyerhoff Program was initiated through nomination. While it is no longer a requirement to be nominated for our program, it is highly encouraged. Nominations are most frequently submitted by high school administrators, guidance counselors, or teachers. Deserving students may also be nominated by other adults who are influential in their educational and personal lives, including community leaders, mentors, and family.
The typical application and selection process is as follows:
- September 15 Nomination letters are sent to principals and guidance counselors, explaining eligibility criteria and how to access the online nomination forms.
- October 15 Though we encourage nominations by this date, submissions received later will be processed without penalty to the student. Correspondence encouraging application to the Meyerhoff Scholars Program is sent directly to the nominee’s mailing address and/or email address as provided on the nomination form. Please note: the nomination form will close 9:00am EST, December 1, 2020.
- November 1 UMBC Admissions Early Action Deadline. In addition to the Meyerhoff Scholars application, students must submit a general UMBC application for undergraduate admission and are encouraged to take advantage of the Early Action admissions deadline of November 1.
- December 1 Meyerhoff Online Application Priority Deadline. Meyerhoff Program applications and supporting documents will be accepted beyond the Priority Deadline until the online submission portal closes January 15, 2021. We strongly encourage submission no later than January 10 to facilitate timely review of your application. Click here for detailed instructions on HOW TO APPLY to the Meyerhoff Scholars Program
- January 31 On this date invitations to participate in one of two Meyerhoff Selection Weekends are mailed to top applicants meeting eligibility criteria, including submission of a completed UMBC undergraduate admissions application and a Meyerhoff Scholars Program application. Invited students are required to take UMBC Math placement test prior to their Selection Weekend.
- April 1 Meyerhoff decision letters are mailed to all applicants.
- May 1 Students accept or reject Meyerhoff and UMBC admission invitations. This deadline includes students who applied under early action.
Nominators and applicants with questions should contact the Meyerhoff Program (email@example.com) for additional information.